Monday, February 20, 2006

Should I listen to my Sheikh/Imam or the Quran?

I don't know if this is the official website for Al-Azhar ? There are two websites, the other one is here. I can't tell which one is which. I sure hope its not the first though. Because they seem to teach "Mental Arts" and God help us for that.

Some readers may think I am mocking them. I am not ... I Just feel sad that we lack decent leadership. I feel sad since many people think that Al-Azhar is a source of religious knowledge. Islam is not what it should be, nor is it what it used to be. Muslims miss the point big time. They think that Islam is about not drinking Alcohol or eating pork. They think that Islam is about growing a beard, wearing a veil, or being forceful. Islam is none of that ... In fact only some of those things are mentioned in the Quran. Islam is simply about God. It is about worshiping and believing in God. This worship entails not to eat pork and to avoid Alcohol, but its not about doing those things. Many Muslims try to tell you that eating Pork is unhealthy and so on. Well, it may or it may not be. The point is that God has decreed it to be forbiden for Muslims. Therefore, it is part of your belief and duty towards him to avoid what is forbiden. I don't necessarly believe that Pork is bad for your health. It is sort of like avoiding fishing on a Saturday for the Children of Israel. It was but a test for them. It is about what you are willing to give up to show loyalty.



That is besides the point. The point I am trying to make is that through out the 14 centuries since Mohammaed peace be upon him delivered his message. It is only logical that religion has changed. Especially due to language issues. Arabic spoken today in the streets is not the same Arabic that was spoken in his time. Time and passing generations also play an important role. Moreover, many nations have come and gone. There were many conflicts, assassinations, a lot of politics etc. They all played a role in forming the Islam we have received. Only one thing remained unchanged through out this time however. It is the Quran.

God did not give us the Quran just because ... It is what made me believe. It is what Mohammad used as proof that he is a messenger of a divine being. It is what drew many of the early believers to Islam. It is what the prophet used to argue his message to Quraish and their mockery. It is what he used to convince the people of the book.

How come we don't use it anymore? The Prophet never used "Hadeeth" to convert people. The Quran is a great book. It is not for us to read in Ramadhan and collect hasanaat. That is but a misconception. I don't know where that came from!

Anyone can state an opinion of course, I will however try to prove mine. First of all, I need a starting point. I choose to state as a starting point that the Quran is the word of God. Of course not many people believe this. However, I am not preaching Islam here. My objective is an open dialogue with other Muslims.

Since the Quran is the word of God and no Muslim can by definition deny that. Then I will use verses from the Quran to make my point.

Therefore, let us look at the word "Quran" alone "قران" within the book itself. Not taking into account words like Forqan, Thikir and so on. Because there are other names for the Quran. We will find that it has 43 occurrences.


I will not list all of the 43 occurrences however I will point out 16 of those. Then categorize those occurrences based on the meaning of the ayah.
[note that this research is as accurate as the tools I used to conduct the search, in other words if the program that I searched with did not pick up certain occurrences then this search will be incomplete]

  1. Four Occurrences state that the Quran contains "Amthaal" "أمثال" which would mean in English Analogy, Correlation, or metaphor. I will quote from soorat Al-Zomor [39] and verse [aya 27]: "و لقد ضربنا للناس في هذا القران من كل مثل لعلهم يتذكرون" "We have set forth for people, in this Quran every kind of Parable, in order that they may refer to it" Of course a lot can be lost upon translation. Therefore, please forgive me if I err. The other three are from soorat Al-Room, Al-Israa', and Al-Kahaf.
  2. Four Occurrences state that God made the Quran easy to read, recite and refer to in soorat Al-Qamar [54] "ولقد يسرنا القران للذكر فهل من مدكر" "And we made the Quran easy for understanding/remembering/refrencing so are there any reciters?" . Two Occurrences also refer to the Quran as "Thikra" "ذكرى" as in a reminder; one of which is in soorat Al-Israa' [17] and verse [aya 41].
  3. Three Occurrences state the this Quran is a source of guidance "Huda" "هدى" one of which is also the first occurrence in the Quran in soorat Al-Baqarah [2] verse [aya 185].
  4. Two occurrences ask do they not contemplate "Tadabbor" "" the Quran? "Do they not contemplate the Quran or are their hearts sealed?" " أفلا يتدبرون القران أم على قلوبٍ أقفالها". Soorat Mohammad [47] verse [24].
  5. In One occurrence the Prophet peace be upon him says to God: "And the messenger said Oh my Lord my people[clan] have disregarded the Quran" "وقال الرسول يا ربي إن قومي اتخذوا هذا القران مهجورا" in soorat Al-Forqaan [25] verse [aya 30].

Most of the remaining 43 occurrences refer to the Quran as being a "Hijja" "حِجَّه" Affirmation, proof, assertion, or evidence. Again there are many other names for the Quran that I could search for. That would require some research to list them all.

I am like every other human being, subject to making mistakes and misjudgment. Therefore, my goal is not to preach but to get people thinking.

No comments: