Friday, March 24, 2006

The Nation's situation "حال الأمة"

I was watching a movie the other day "Ghost and the Darkness" and a line in the movie caught my attention. Of course gaining wisdom from a Hollywood movie is not what this post is all about. Without allowing myself to get sidetracked from my intended topic I shall disclose the quotation from the movie:

Plot: Set in 1896, a bridge construction engineer of the British Army, John Patterson (Val Kilmer) is sent to build a railway bridge across Uganda's Tsavo River for the British East African Railway. He was given an aggressive schedule, in order to complete the bridge before the French or the Germans complete their railways first.
He was confident that he would be able to meet his deadline since through out his career he has demonstrated that in other continents.

John found out that his biggest obstacle was an unusual one. Two Lions unlike other normal beasts started attacking his workers. Killing up to 30 to 40 people. Despite all his attempts to kill those lions he fails. Prompting him to request for an infamous professional lion hunter Remmington (Michael Douglas). Both of them yet again struggle with their attempts to hunt those lions. Those lions unlike any of their species hunted in pairs. Which according to the movie that never happens. Furthermore, they weren't killing out of hunger, but rather for the hell of it.

At this stage of the movie, all the workers have fled, leaving only 3 people trying to hunt those lions. While the Engineer and the Hunter were going after the lions to hunt them, this dialouge occurs:

Remington: "When I was growing up there was a bully in my hometown he used to
terrorize everybody. He wasn't the problem. He had a brother worse than him, but he wasn't the problem either... One or the other was always in jail.

The problem was when they were together .. Alone they were just bullies but together ... Phew ... they were leathal ... they were real killers"

John: "What happened to them?"

Remington: "Well I got bigger" ... Then he walks away.

This of course applies to the real world oh so well. Many nations have bullied others in this world. The end result will always be the same. Just like everything else in this world, they have an end. Every nation in history has lost its power only to have a place in history books. The question to be asked here is this: When will this end be? When will the bullying of our nation stop? The answer is as per the quotes above. WHEN WE GET BIGGER.

Therefore, until this nation gets bigger and not in size, but in wisdom we will continue to be bullied around. Getting bigger of course is subject to many interpretations. I shall present mine in another post.

3 comments:

Faisal said...

Jon,

I have published your post. Even though this blog is not meant for Non-Muslims. My target audience is people who share my faith. I wish to help them learn more about their own religion.

The problem is that you use your biased media to make conclusions and state what you believe to be fact. In Saudi Arabia, women don't have equal rights however, Westerners and mainly Americans the British expatrios have more rights than the local Saudi Citizen. Also in countries like Lebanon where the majority of the population is a Muslim one, everyone has equal rights under the law. You can also take Bahriand and United Arab Emirates as other examples.

I could list more countries, however, I do not have first hand knowledge about them.

If you choose to claim that Taliban rule was Islamic Golden Age that doesn't mean that it is so. In fact that only shows your ignorence when it comes to history.

Please feel free to debate Islam as a religion on this blog. Otherwise, I don't want this to be a political blog debating the morality of the United States. Nor do I want to debate with someone who uses CNN as their main source of information.

Faisal said...

Jon,

This is some of what US marines are doing.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp_v3/viewer/index.php?pid=16598&rn=49750&cl=329328&ch=161968&src=www.bushflash.com

We can go on and on. Sure there are not a few but a lot of bad apples. Those bad apples exist in all nations. So meanwhile I am critisizing my own people. Maybe you should critisize yours. Before any Muslim stepped on American Soil, there were American soldiers stepping on Muslim soil. Those soldiers were Christians who believe in freedom and freedom of speech.

Jon, please feel free to discuss Islam in thos post. I don't wish to make this political. I shall not publish any more political posts.

Faisal said...

Jon,

By the way I think I should also mention that when I say become bigger, I don't mean in size nor power. I do mean that Muslims should learn and evolve. Staying the way they are they will not get bigger even if their number grows exponentially. Moreover, if Muslims choose to become like the Lions in the movie I refrence. Then they will lose their own identity. Which is that of people who worship and obery God. For God loveth not the aggressor.

I can tell you for certain that once something like this happens Muslims will become extinct. Of course some Muslim groups have already headed down that path. My personal belief is that that will change in the not so distnent future. I believe things will in fact get worse. Until they hit rock bottom and only then will the start of the new era arrive.